Winter skincare ingredients you need Posted on 29 Jan 2024
During the winter, it is not unusual for the skin to feel drier and tighter, which can lead to more sensitive and irritated skin. Prepare your skin with these winter ingredients and be ready for those colder days!
INGREDIENTS TO LOOK FOR
Look for both nourishing, moisturising and soothing ingredients to keep the skin barrier intact this winter. Below, we have collected some of the best winter ingredients and product recommendations to see you through the season.
MOISTURISING & MOISTURE PRESERVATION
Emollient, moisturising and moisture-retaining ingredients are like a puffer jacket for your skin during winter's unreliable weather. These are the saviours that soften the skin, counteract imbalances such as surface dryness, and help maintain the skin's barrier remains strong and intact.
• Glycerin: The deeply hydrating overnight H.E.O Mask from Medik8 contains an extra high concentration of this moisture-binding ingredient!
• Hyaluronic Acid: Moisturising and naturally found in the body, the SkinCeuticals H. A. Intensifier boosts the skin's own production of this vital substance.
• Squalane: Similar to the skin's natural lipids, this ingredient has a softening effect and improves the skin's elasticity. You can find it in the Medik8 Mutiny Squalane Based Lip Balm
• Ceramides: This repairing ingredient works well with other moisturising and barrier building actives such as the ones found in the SkinCeuticals Triple Lipid cream
• Panthenol: Also known as Vitamin B5, this strengthening and protective ingredient hero is great for all skin types. Find it in the PCA Skin ReBalance
GIVE YOUR SKIN EXTRA NOURISHMENT
Nutritious ingredients will give the skin a soft, soothed and strong feeling. These ingredients are particularly good for boosting the skin before and after days spent outdoors or when the skin feels dry, flaky and tight. Expect products that include these ingredients to be thick, rich and super luxurious.
• Omega Fatty Acids: Amazing in skin care, these moisturising and barrier-strengthening ingredients can be found in ZENMED - Omegaceramide+ Recovery Moisturizer
• Shea Butter: The perfect ingredient to soften and soothe irritated chapped skin. Find it in the PCA Skin Collagen Hydrator
• Coconut Oil: Cebelia Comfort Cream contains Sweet Almond, Olive & Coconut Oils, prevents skin dehydration and nourishes and moisturises the skin.
SOOTHE THE SKIN
In addition to their soothing effect, these ingredients also provide moisture and a dose of antioxidants.
• Vitamin E: The SKIN TECH Vit. E Anti-oxydant moisturiser offers immediate and long-lasting hydration and free radical protection.
• Allantoin: Get an immediate calming effect with this Soothing Milk body Lotion from Cebelia.
• Beta-glucan: A real saviour for fragile winter skin. It locks in moisture and comforts the skin. Find it in the ALHYDRAN Barrier Repair Care