Keratosis pilaris (KP) is a benign condition that presents as numerous small, rough, red, or tan bumps primarily around hair follicles on the upper arms, legs, buttocks, and sometimes cheeks. KP creates a "goose bumps," "gooseflesh," or "chicken skin" appearance on the skin. In general, KP is often cosmetically displeasing but medically completely harmless and is not infectious. The condition typically begins in childhood and often runs in families. It's frequently seen in atopic dermatitis patients and patients with very dry skin. Many patients note improvement of their symptoms in the summer months and seasonal flares in colder winter months. Some people find that it improves as you get older.
The exact cause of KP is unknown. There seems to be a problem with overproduction of the keratin part of the skin called hyperkeratinisation which causes thickening of the skin. Then the hair follicles become blocked with plugs of hard skin, which feel rough. The tiny plugs widen the pores, making the skin look spotty.
How can keratosis pilaris be treated?
Creams, cleansers and scrubs containing exfoliating ingredients like salicylic acid, lactic acid, glycolic acid and vitamin A have proven to be effective to help restore a smooth texture. Treatment for keratosis pilaris is ongoing – if discontinued, skin begins reforming around hair follicles. Maintenance is the best way to maintain smooth skin.
Our most popular exfoliating body products:
Sesderma Salises Foaming soap free cream (cleansing)
Sesderma Azelac Lotion It can be applied on the face, body and scalp.
- Immediately improves roughened or calloused areas
- Includes moisturising and soothing botanical extracts
- Combines glycolic acid and polished granules to provide an exceptional level of body skin rejuvenation
- Suitable for all skin types, especially dry and sun damaged skin
- Dramatically improves the appearance of aging and environmentally damaged skin
- Suitable for all skin types.$47.57
Out of stock
- Cleansing gel for face and body
- eliminates impurities and dead cells
- contains 15% Glycolic acid
- suitable for skin already accustomed to glycolic acid.
- Exfoliating body lotion
- stimulates collagen and elastin synthesis
- firms and tones
- suitable for all skin types.
- Helps combat sagging skin and uneven texture
- skin rapidly becomes smoother and firmer
- contains 30% glycolic acid and 5% Vitamin C
- suitable for all skin types, especially mature and pigmented.
- Light lotion for face and body
- improves skin's appearance and texture
- contains 8% glycolic acid, 2% citric acid
- deal for first time AHA users with non-sensitive skin.
RRP £54 -NEW increased size
- Light, non-greasy, extra-strength exfoliating gel
- promotes smoother skin texture and a more even tone
- contains 15% Glycolic acid.
- suitable for non-sensitive oily or acne-prone skin.
Great for reducing ingrown hairs on face, neck and other areas regularly shaved$51.33
- Fragrance-free formulation
- treats severe dry skin and hyperkeratotic conditions
- helps reduce scaling and flaking
- contains 20% Alpha Hydroxy Acids.
Recommended use on skin with rosacea & redness
For acne and acne-prone skin.
Folliculitis by shaving or waxing
- Light, extra-strength, multi-purpose lotion
- Correct visible signs of aging
- Improve overall skin texture
- Even/brighten skin tone
- for use on face and body
- Great to treat in-grown hairs
- contains 15% Glycolic acid
- Hydrates and treats acne-prone and oily skin
- Suitable for oily skin
Hydration and treatment of acne-prone oily skin.
- A potent, pH-balanced, soap-free formulation
- provides moisturising, skin conditioning and antioxidant benefits
- contains 18% Glycolic acid and 2% Lactobionic acid
- not suitable for sensitive skin.