What is Seborrhoeic Dermatitis?
Seborrhoeic dermatitis is a common non-contagious skin condition affecting millions of people. It's a papulosquamous disorder that affects the sebum-rich areas of the scalp, face and trunk.
Its exact cause is unknown, though cases are often attributed to the overproduction of sebum in the sebaceous glands, the presence of topical organisms such as Malassezia yeasts (formerly known as pityrosporum ovale) and inflammatory or immunologic abnormalities.
Patients with a compromised immune system (such as sufferers of HIV/AIDS) are typically susceptible to more frequent and severe cases of seborrhoeic dermatitis, while neurological conditions such as Parkinson's disease are also understood to induce a higher prevalence. Other factors which may trigger outbreaks include physical trauma (eg scratching), seasonality or emotional stress.
Symptoms of Seborrhoeic dermatitis
Manifestations of seborrhoeic dermatitis skin lesions include:
- Patchy scaling or thick crusts on the scalp
- Yellow or white scales that attach to the hair shaft
- Red, greasy skin covered with flaky white or yellow scales
- Itching or soreness
- Skin flakes or dandruff
- Hypopigmentation may occur in black patients.
Seborrhoeic dermatitis occurs on the more oily areas or where there is a certain amount of hair, such as the scalp, forehead, eyebrows, eyelash line, nasolabial folds, beard and postauricular skin. It may also be present on the skin under the chin.
Seborrhoeic dermatitis is characterised by intermittent periods of remission followed by periods of exacerbation, when patients experience the burning, scaling and itching symptoms associated with the condition. Flare-ups tend to be more common in winter and early spring, with periods of remission usually occurring in summer.
Seborrhoeic dermatitis may affect people of all races and ethnic groups and is slightly more prevalent in men than in women.
Seborrhoeic dermatitis usually occurs with puberty. It peaks at around age 40 and is less severe but present among older people. In infants, it occurs as cradle cap or less frequently as a flexural eruption or erythroderma.
Treating Seborrhoeic Dermatitis
Sebclair® is a non-steroidal range of clinically proven products specifically designed to manage the signs and symptoms of seborrhoeic dermatitis (SD), which has demonstrated both anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties.
The NeoStrata PHA skincare product range can be used alongside Sebclair and provides moisture, antioxidant benefits and exfoliation:
- Soap-free, hypoallergenic facial cleanser
- gently exfoliates without drying the skin
- removes make up
- ideal for all skin types, including sensitive .
- Provides long-lasting hydration
- reduces the visible signs of aging
- contains 15% PHA (gluconolactone)
- ideal for rosacea, dry and sensitive skin types and skin intolerant to AHA's.
- Highly emollient face cream
- visibly reduces the signs of photoaging
- contains 8% Gluconolactone and 4% Lactobionic acid
- suitable for dry, sensitive, Redness and post-procedure skin.
- Fragrance-free, lightweight lotion
- soothes, conditions and moisturizes dry skin
- contains12% gluconolactone, 3% lactobionic acid and vitamin E
- suitable for sensitive and extremely dry, scaly skin.
- Oil free, lightweight antioxidant moisturiser
- provides broad-spectrum (UVA/UVB) sun protection
- contains 8% Gluconolactone, 2% Lactobionic acid and Vitamin E
- suitable for all skin types.
- Emollient cream
- gently exfoliates and moisturises the skin
- contains 10% PHA (gluconolactone)
- suitable for sensitive skin, rosacea and first-time AHA users.
Sebclair Cream is a cream for the treatment of Seborrheic Dermatitis. It is non-steroidal with both anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties. Safe to use as a face cream for treating Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Treatment of the diseases of the scalp (Seborrheic dermatitis, Pityriasis versicolor) and as anti-dandruff treatment$19.41
Sebclair Cream & shampoo is a non-steroidal treatment for seborrheic dermatitis, which has demonstrated both anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties$35.05
Out of stock